Coffee Taster Code of Conduct
Please carefully read the Coffee Taster Code of Conduct set forth below.
Completion of this form is a requirement of the certificate program.
Make sure you create a profile at SCAA.org under the Log In tab so that your completion of this form is noted on your educational profile.
If you should have any questions please contact, firstname.lastname@example.org.
As an SCAA certified Coffee Taster, I pledge to:
Be true to the coffee (specifically meaning . . . )
1. to be unbiased in my coffee evaluations; prior knowledge of the coffee’s source, genetic make-up, roast level, freshness or other factors will not influence my evaluation.
2. to realize that I am an imperfect sensory instrument and that my evaluations may differ somewhat from those of other people. No evaluation is correct or incorrect, however, all are acceptable deviations from the mean.
3. to understand that my certificate may bring me respect and authority that can be abused but I will not abuse that authority.
4. to at all times to protect the integrity, validity and reputation of the education programs of the SCAA.
5. to respect other coffee evaluators, independent of their skill level or certification holdings
6. to hone and improve my tasting and evaluating skills, never settling for “good enough”.
7. to be true to the coffee product, always labeling the coffee origins accurately, and striving to maintain the coffee’s integrity and purity.
Business etiquette (specifically meaning . . .)
1. to promote specialty coffee, provide my peers and customers with coffee education, and work towards the professional advancement of all.
2. to conduct my business in a manner that would bring honor and prestige to all coffee professionals.
3. to treat my suppliers fairly, professionally, and with the respect that coffee professionals deserve.
4. to not criticize another coffee professional or business in a malicious manner, to harm the business or person, their professional reputation, or personal identity.
5. to engage with colleagues to bring forth relevant new ideas, even if they seem preposterous or outlandish
6. to represent myself to the industry and the community honestly and truthfully, acknowledging that misrepresentation will bring discredit upon my employer/company, the Coffee Taster Certificate, the coffee profession and myself.
Additionally, I understand that by completing the curriculum for this Pathway and passing the exam(s), I will receive an assessment-based certificate, not a specific job certification. By passing the exams, I have met the SCAA’s job-related competencies and educational standards that represent industry best practices, protocols, and standards as defined by SCAA.
Violations of the Coffee Taster's Code of Conduct
Individuals who violate their pledge to follow, obey, and uphold the ideals of the Coffee Taster's Code of Conduct may face disciplinary or other action by the Specialty Coffee Association of America.
I have read the above Code of Conduct and agree to abide by it. My agreement is indicated by the checking of the box below.
CLICK HERE to indicate you will comply with and are in agreement with the statements set forth above.
Do Not Fill This Out